Quarried near Swinton in The Scottish Borders and formerly known as ‘Whitsome Newton’, the stone is most famously known for its use in the Hall of Honour, Edinburgh Castle
Hazeldean sandstone is quarried near Alnwick in Northumberland, England. Hazeldean Sandstone is both visually and geologically a good match for the no longer available Craigleith Sandstone of Edinburgh.
As well as bringing in numerous other stones from further afield, Hutton Stone Co Ltd operate two Sandstone Quarries in the locality.
Swinton Quarry (also historically known as Whitsome Newton) has been producing quality Buff/Green/Grey Sandstone since around 1700 and as with so many other dimension stone Quarries it closed around the onset of the Second World War. Apart from a brief spell in the 1950’s when it supplied stone for the Watch water Reservoir it remained closed till 1999 when we re-opened it and have operated it full time ever since. It is an important source in the Borders because it is really the only Quarry in the district that supplied stone beyond its immediate area.
Once the railway was here it was sent in large quantities into Edinburgh and was included in the Meadows Commerative Sundial and Pillars 1886 showcasing important Scottish Sandstones of the time. It was also used perhaps most famously in the incredible Hall of Honour at Edinburgh Castle in 1927. Outside of Edinburgh it was used on Eden Bridge and many other notable Public buildings in Carlisle in the 1920’s as well as a vast amount of the notable large houses, Public Buildings, bridges and Monuments in the Borders. Today it continues to be used in large quantities throughout Scotland and Northern England, with notable work currently being carried out in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Northern Ireland. Sample boxes are available on request.
10 Miles West of Berwick, just outside Swinton
Buff / Green / Grey
Fine / Medium Grained
Images Courtesy of Bing
Hazeldean quarry (also historically known as Crag Hill) was reopened by us in 2010. It is situated just outside the village of South Charlton approximately 5 miles north of Alnwick in Northumberland.
The quarry was originally worked in the 1800’s and is said to have been loaded onto trains at nearby Christon Bank and sent to Edinburgh to build the Waverly Hotel. Its main importance
is its geological and visual match to the nationally famous Craigleith Sandstone from Edinburgh
It is generally a light white to cream colour and is suitable for all types of architectural building applications including new build, restoration and conservation works, and in particular will greatly compliment the original building stones of Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Approximately 5 miles North of Alnwick
Light White to Cream
Images Courtesy of Bing